. . . a cleaning company needs a high-pressure, hermetically sealed, supercritical CO2 pump for a new, environmentally-friendly cleaning process . . . a biomedical company needs an extremely quiet blower that will be incorporated into a machine for the prevention of sleep apnea. Where do they go for Prototype Design? Barber-Nichols Inc. (BNI) is pleased to offer a full suite of prototype design and product development services including:
Even better, BNI offers the above listed services a la carte. Clients can purchase any one, combination of, or all of the prototype design services that will best complement their company's capabilities and project plan.
Prototype Design Examples
- 20 mm (0.79 in) Diameter Pelton Wheel Designed to Drive a 2 Watt Generator: BNI designed and fabricated the wheel and nozzle assembly for fitment to the generator.
- 200 hp Dynamic Coal Mill: BNI completed the detailed design, based on the customer concept, including engineering of the bearing.
- 15 hp High Pressure CO2 Pump: BNI engineered, produced, and tested an 11 kW, hermetically sealed, electric-driven centrifugal pump with CO2 lubricated bearings. Thirty beta units were produced for customer field testing.
- 4 hp Turbine: BNI engineered and produced an ultra-compact 25 mm (1 in) diameter axial flow turbine and nozzle to drive an alternator. The Turbo-Alternator was tested to 400,000 rpm by a major university to demonstrate the concept.
- 10 hp Combustion Blower: BNI engineered and designed a combustion blower for customer testing and production.
In addition to the working end of the machine, BNI can provide motor/generator, bearing sealing and support system design as well.
A full prototype development program will generally have three design review milestones with the client: a conceptual review, a preliminary review, and a critical review. This program review schedule allows for the execution of work while the viability of the concept is progressively confirmed. Contact us with your idea, conditions of service, definition of scope, and schedule and we will be happy to provide you with a proposal.